English Pronunciation & Intonation
Speaking requires English pronunciation and intonation. If you want to be a fluent English speaker, you must be able to use good pronunciation and intonation in real-world situations. Many students believe by reading grammar books and learning the rules, they will be able to speak English fluently. If you want to improve English your speaking, you must put down the grammar books and learn to practice English speaking skills. Although, grammar is important, focus on English speaking problems and using English to communicate in the real world.
Pronunciation is the making of different sounds when speaking English. To be clearly understood, good pronunciation is required for verbal communication. When speaking, good grammar and other language skills can be irrelevant and useless with poor pronunciation.
The problem is teaching pronunciation is very difficult and requires a physical action by the students. Pronunciation involves not just memorizing rules or knowing information, it is also a physical skill requiring action, similar to playing a sport or musical instrument. Students need to be motivated to practice their pronunciation.
English pronunciation has many exceptions to the rules. Some languages have one letter for every sound. Unfortunately, English is not one of these languages. For example, the 5 English vowels have over 20 sounds. Pronunciation rules are used but exceptions can be a problem.
How to improve your English pronunciation?
- LISTEN to native speakers pronounce words and phrases.
- Learn to speak English with clear pronunciation.
- Learn the stress of new words
- Do the same as you did for your native language ….. listen and repeat.
- Speak to native speakers
- Learn the importance of syllables.
- Practice the sounds you find difficult.
- Learn intonation and use tone, rhythm and stress when speaking English.
- Learn to think in English and not translate.
- Practice speaking English with interactive exercises, discussions, activities, and games.
- Practice speaking loud and clear.
- Learn colloquial English.
- Record and check your English pronunciation
- Web Active English